Friday, February 5, 2010

Io Mi Chiamo Hallie; Sono Americana

Yay, I actually have all my classes now! Although getting there was a struggle. Basically there are four different Italian groups, three of which meet at the same time on Thursdays. Grant and I had tried one group, and the teacher told us it was full. He'd emailed the teacher for another group, and she'd said hers was full as well. He hadn't gotten a response from the third teacher, but then he found out that he didn't need Italian anyway, so he wasn't going to go. I decided to try that class anyway, and hopefully there would be room. When I talked to the teacher, however, she told me that the class with Madame Zapparatta was the one I should go to, and she took me over there and made sure it was okay. Basically I didn't end up in the class I expected, but it worked out eventually. The professor seems to be Italian, rather than French, which is cool. The only thing I didn't like is that she quickly found out that I was American and kept calling on me specifically for stuff and asking me if I understood what was going on (which I did; it really wasn't that hard and was mostly review of stuff I'd learned from attending the other two classes).

After class, I headed back to the house, and did a little bit of shopping up Rue Nationale on the way. The sales are almost over (they end tomorrow, I think) so everything is at its cheapest. This also, of course, means that most stuff is pretty picked over, so it can be hard to find the right size or exactly what you want. I ended up getting a pretty teal shirt, a cute gray button-up, and a black vest/overshirt thing. Having a limit on how much I could bring was really hard, and I constantly feel like I have nothing to wear, so yay, new clothes!

This morning I had to get up early, of course, to go to my Writing/Oral class. It was pretty interesting; we ended up talking about the nature vs. nurture debate, which seems to be a topic that Beatrix really likes. She also let us go an hour early, which was pretty awesome. I'm not sure if she did it on purpose or if she'd lost track of time, but nobody wanted to say anything. When I came back I was pretty tired, so I took a nap. When I woke up I found out that we were supposed to go to some exchange student party for the galette des rois; apparently Jacqueline wanted us to go and thought it would be fun. So I quickly got ready and we headed all the way to Les Halles, which this big shopping complex building thing across town. When we got there we found the room where it was supposed to be held, but we didn't recognise anyone there. We waited for a bit, and then Jacqueline and Mathias showed up and they didn't know anyone there either. We figured there must have been some mix-up, so we came back to the house and Jacqueline made dinner. We had our own galettes (for what's probably the eighth time). This time, Joel, Mathias, and I found the little favours, and they told me I should keep mine. We're all hanging out around the house, and we're getting up early tomorrow. Maybe we'll go to bed soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment